Monday 13 October 2008

Taxi! - # 08/242

Groping my way forward into "available light" photography I venture into town with a fellow enthusiast, tripod on shoulder, and massive low-light f2 wide angle lens attached to the mighty E3. (Actually a light weight point and shoot would probably do quite well enough. Why do I torture myself?).

This is my interpretation of the taxi rank outside Richmond Railway Station. It's busy and plenty of traditional London-style "black cabs" are lined up and waiting for customers.

The highlight of the evening was a "Police Community Support Officer" who asked me if I was a terrorist "because I had a big camera with a big lens" (Ho, ho, and much laughter from our side). Quite what the Metropolitain Police think they will achieve by this approach to public safety puzzles me. Legal and responsible amateur photography can be a positive benefit to the Police. They should assist it, not harrass it in silly poorly thought through ways.

Camera E3, Lens 1:2 14-35mm (28-70 35mm equivalent), Setting Manual f 8 3.2sec ISO125



8 comments:

  1. That's what happens when big boys fidget with their big lens in public.

    Ta-da! I will be here all week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice available light work. the slight motion blur on the people gives the shot some energy, too. i love photos which make me really feel england (smell it, hear it, etc) and you've done that here. (i'm london-born but have lived in spain for the last 7 years so i get super homesick sometimes). thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. odd bins. I remember those stores from when I use to visit London in the 90s. Great capture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't listen to MIng, he has camera/lens envy and so do I! THis is a classic shot. DOn't let the Keystone Cops get you down. I expect Mary Poppins to jump out of one of those cabs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo and story and you captured Odd Bins in the background. What more could I ask.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with your comments. Really nice shot and nice to see black cabs in black and white. I half expect to see The Thin Man come out fo the shadows, or someone like that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. C'est curieux, car dimanche dernier nous étions chez notre fils et son amie à Paris 11ème, et j'ai photographié un taxi londonnien qui était garé dans la rue juste à coté, là où nous avions garé notre voiture.
    Un petit saut outre-Manche à moindre frais !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I literally live right down the street from here! Nice pic neighbor!

    ReplyDelete