Friday 31 December 2010

Muscat Moments 4 - # 118/10


"Trading Off-Souk"............a tricky shot with extremes of light to cope with.  Looking out from the main covered Souk (naturally cool and shaded from the sun) we glimpse little alleys leading away, absolutely drenched in brilliant sunshine. I tried several shots and this seemed to work best for the blog.  Photography is often a bargaining trade-off, just like haggling with a long-experienced market trader. I was won over by an expert who knew his cricket and told me the latest news about England absolutely thrashing the s*** out of Australia to secure the Ashes. Having hooked me he gracefully let me beat him down on his price, but I most likely still paid way too much...."stoopid white-man",


We are in the Souk in the old, original harbour area of the original trading port of Muscat, home of the legendary Sindbad the Sailor who was, according to tradition and legend, an Omani seafaring man.   


Right now I say......."If you can manage to travel to Muscat, then DO. You won't regret it, and the Sultanate of Oman will welcome you warmly".

5 comments:

  1. Hi Stuart! Muscat? Amazing...

    Have a Happy and Successful New Year!! Wish you all the best!!
    Horus and Sobek wait for you at Kom Ombo. You don't know what you have been missing... ;)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your Muscat moments and their change in tone. Lovely work. Hope you are having a wonderful time there - say hi to R for me. Happy New Year and I hope 2011 will be uplifting.
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrew.......Thank you. As the Trader said "Your satisfaction is my constant striving, dear Sir."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way the shot draws the eye in and we want to walk. beautiful light and reflection. it looks a very clean and tidy Souk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to be able to share your good times in Muscat.

    Agree with the challenge that light in the souk poses. Jilly is right, it all looks very tidy.

    ReplyDelete