Sunday 7 December 2008

Hogsmill - like molten chocolate - # 08/283

Lot's of dithering over this one: B&W or show off how it catches the late afternoon December sun? Should we admire the tints of the reddish brick houses reflected and the hint of the blue winter sky in the smoother water, or go for the remarkable tonality of the B&W print?

The Hogsmill is a fast flowing downland stream that's provided fresh water for millenia and then in later years power to drive industry. At this point it strikes the nose of an island and runs over a weir built for the watermill that stood there. It then gushes fast and hard into the Thames.

I love the way the ruffled water turns into a sort of thick treacly mass as it flows over the weir and then breaks into a mass of sprinkles and turns white.

It's just another snap in my series of attempts to catch the essence of the water flowing in the many streams around the area.

7 comments:

  1. I heard mention of chocolate so I ran right over. Actually, I like the way you describe your photos almost as much as the photo itself. I need help with two words... treacly and weir. I am sure it's a British thing that I of course would not understand. I haven't seen your BW but I think I vote for the color as well. The water is gorgeous and not all fake looking when it's been Photoshopped half to death. I have not mastered water although I have one of the fountain at Place de la Concorde that I took at NIGHT, that I THINK might be ok. Maybe you will take a look and critique for me??? I appreciate all help. I'll put it up Tues. if I can remember.

    Oh yes, I've uncovered it. There's a photo to prove it you know! My question is does what happens in Paris, stay in Paris??? :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. As there are so many hues, colour the right choice. Flowing water, still water, crashing waves I have to photograph a lot job wise. Making an overflow pipe look like a thing of beauty (really that was the client's brief)was a tricky one. I think you would have excelled at that challenge, you did here. Two shots in one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Detail is frequently more fascinating than the whole, 'Roon. The colour adds a lot but, for me, the way you have captured such variety of movement makes the image.

    Treacly: thick and gluelike and therefore slow to move; more an ooze than a flow.

    weir: a low man-made barrier in a stream; can be for vehicular traffic or just to slow the stream

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks JUlie for the heads up on the Brit language!.
    I came back to say I have had a look at the fountain pic and you don't need to bother. I know what's wrong.... a lot. It will make you crazy my friend. Oh dear! :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much as I hate to admit it, in colour it does look like chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Water! Nicely catched! This reminds me of some recent experiences with Richard and the b&w / colour issue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, that really does flow, thick and luscious, just like chocolate. So of course you had to leave it in its beautiful natural colour!

    ReplyDelete