Saturday 9 February 2008

Unfailing support - # 08/12

The cast iron pillars are higher than a house and support the massive iron cross bar. Above this "shoulder" is the 30 tonne pivoting rocker arm that rises and falls, one end driven by steam pressure through a huge piston, the other end rising and falling to lift the water.

I'll show a few more pictures in the coming days, and then we'll let this engineering marvel go back to its quiet rest. The history of hygiene and flushing toilets in the metropolis may seem unglamorous, but this Kew Bridge Steam Museum brings it to life.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa-o-o-o-o.
    That IS impressive!
    I'll never forget the first time I saw the steam engines at the Spotswood Pumping Station in Melbourne. I was enthralled. I never knew such a thing existed!
    They are such beautiful creations for such a very nasty use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is impressive times 1000! What an engine. I can see you've had great fun with this project, Chuckeroon, and it's so fascinating.

    Note: I mentioned the water on Menton DP today - to answer your question.

    ReplyDelete